Here are the final details for your 2020 Grächen Berglauf. This together with the information on our website should tell you all you need to know! If you have any further questions please email email@example.com.
It is a beautiful challenge ahead of you and we have a great team of volunteers ready to support you. Best of luck!
Given the current pandemic conditions there are some extra precautions that we ask you to follow. Thank you for respecting these and allowing us to still go ahead with a fun event while protecting the safety of our runners, volunteers and the local community.
- DO NOT leave home if you are sick or have any symptoms of COVID-19
- DO NOT leave home if you have come into contact with any person suspected to have COVID-19 within the last 14 days
- Present yourself to our designated medical staff if you develop symptoms at any point after your arrival in Grächen until your departure.
- Notify us if you develop symptoms / test positive for COVID-19 at any time during the 14 days post race so that we can inform the health authorities and contact tracing can be undertaken.
With your participation in the Grächen Berglauf we need your help to protect the health of all our runners, volunteers & the local community. Thank you!
Race Organisation & Communication
For any general questions / queries before and during the race please contact the race organisation
Emergency only during the race: +41.793.998.527
We may need to communicate with you before, during and after the race. Please carry your phone with you during your race. There is mobile signal over 80% of the race route. Should we need to notify you of any time change / route amendments / weather forecast / emergency information we will send this to you by email and by SMS. Please ensure that you can access this.
Precautions to protect against Covid-19
Please note these precautions are according to the latest advice from the Federal and Cantonal regulations. Disregard of these protocols will invalidate your registration and result in disqualification.
- Participants must be free of symptoms.
- Participants must accept that they may be at risk of close contact with others – defined as occasions where protective measures cannot always be observed & distance may fall below 2m.
- Contact tracing is mandatory. Information will be held for a minimum of 14 days and may be submitted to the cantonal medical authorities if required. Participants may be subject to quarantine if close contact with COVID-19 sufferers is established during the event.
- Participants & volunteers/staff must observe the 2m distance where possible. Where not possible the use of facemasks is mandatory – including during race registration and in the start/finish area.
- Frequent handwashing/hand sanitisation at designated points.
- No handshaking or physical contact (hugging), unless of the same household.
- Any supporters / spectators must register their contact details pre-race with the race organisers.
Arrival in Grächen
Please remember that wearing a mask is mandatory on all public transport within Switzerland and also in all shops in the Valais/Wallis from Monday 31 August.
For independent travel then Grächen is easily accessible by public transport. Please check www.sbb.ch/en for timetables and booking tickets online. The “stop” is Grächen Post which is a one minute walk from the Dorfplatz for registration, start line, finish line.
In case you or your supporter(s) are coming to Grächen by car here are the details of all parking facilities in Grächen:
Parkplätze Grächen https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1IpoJprspDMa7twsVrug4fIrQkKIi7SzM&usp=sharing
Just click on a symbol for price & contact details.
Time: between 07:30 and 09:30, Saturday 5 September
Location: Tent in the Dorfplatz, Grächen
N.B. Mandatory use of facemasks in the registration zone. Thank you.
Health check: We will send you a short questionnaire by email on Thursday 3 September to ask you about your recent health and travel history. This must be completed online before you can collect your race number. Your temperature will be checked on entrance to the registration area. The decision of our medical staff is final. If we have any doubt over your health then we will not allow you to start the race and you will be placed in isolation.
Equipment check: Your equipment will be checked before we can give you your race number. This is a mountain route and for your safety the obligatory equipment must be carried for the duration of the race.
- Phone, charged and switched on
- emergency blanket
- headgear (buff, bandana or hat)
- capacity to carry 1 litre water
- windproof jacket*
*bad weather forecast: hooded waterproof jacket – in case this is needed you will be notified by email and sms by 6.00h on Saturday 5 September.
INSURANCE: Each race participant must have personal accident insurance sufficient to cover the cost of search and rescue (including by helicopter if required).
BAGGAGE: You will receive a tie on tag with your race number to attach to your bag. You can leave this at the baggage deposit and collect after your race.
Race route and checkpoints
- Route details: http://sg.graechenberglauf.ch/route/
In case of bad weather the route will be diverted via Seetal and Hannigalp with 16.6 km and 1150 m ascent/descent. If it is necessary to take this route we will inform you of the change by 6.00h on Saturday morning by email and sms. So far the forecast looks good!
Headphones:Use of headphones is not permitted during any part of the race for reasons of safety. In certain areas along the route there is danger of rock fall and we need you to have unobstructed hearing. Use of headphones will result in disqualification.
The race route will be marked with fluorescent yellow flags at least every 30 m and any junctions will be clearly defined. Please always follow the race markings in preference to the GPS track in case of any late diversions.
Watch out for a special surprise after about 4 km before you start the climb!
There will be two checkpoints offering
- Sponser Competition Sports Drink (orange flavour)
- Mini Chia Charge Flapjacks (individually wrapped)
- Please use the hand sanitising station before stopping at the checkpoint area.
- Please wear your mask within the checkpoint area.
- There will be no cups provided. You must carry a bottle or a bladder with you and the volunteers will refill this directly from jugs to minimise contact. Waiting spots will be marked out in case of runners arriving in a group. Please be kind and give each other some distance!
There is no timing control at either of these checkpoints so if you don’t need water or snacks you don’t need to stop, you can pass by directly.
There will be 5 marshall points in radio contact along the “alpine” trail between CP1 and CP2. Our mountain guides and volunteers are there to support you!
- Please take care of the environment. No littering is permitted.
- No assistance (drinks/food) is allowed outside of the checkpoints.
- No pacing – you may not be accompanied by anyone outside the race
- The entire route must be completed for you to qualify as a finisher and receive a race time. Your bib number will be controlled at various points along the route.
CP1 - Grat
This will be placed ~7 to 7.5 km at the end of the long climb. Please note that water has to be carried up to this checkpoint! There will be sufficient for at least 1 litre per person but please restrict yourself to this so there is enough for the runners behind you. It is only 5.6 km to the next water point!
CP2 - Alpja
This will be placed at 13.1 km in an alpine meadow at the bottom of the descent from the Riedgletscher. There are no restrictions on water supply here and first aid is also available.
Race start is at 10h.
You will start in pairs at 20 second intervals. Waiting spots within the start area will be marked out with tape. Our volunteers will allow you into the start area as soon as a space becomes available. Please make use of the space in the Dorfplatz to keep distance while you wait! The starting procedure will take 10-15 minutes. Your race time will start as you cross the start line, so your waiting time is of course not counted! Wearing a mask is mandatory in the starting area. Of course you can remove it as soon as you pass under the On archway.
Timing is provided by Valais Timing. Live results will be available and we will send you the weblink for this prior to the race so that you can share with your family and friends.
Timing is by chronometer (and camera). Please make sure you wear your bib on your front and that it is clearly visible when you cross the start and finish lines. Thank you!
Participant List: This will be updated periodically. Please check your details and email firstname.lastname@example.org if something is not correct.
Finish Line and post-race
With the necessary precautions for covid-19 we are sorry not to be able to offer our usual post race celebrations! Of course we still congratulate your effort and hope you had a wonderful run.
- Please make sure your bib number is clearly visible as you approach the finish line.
- It is mandatory to wear a mask in the finish area.
- Please avoid physical contact (hugging / handshakes).
- No supporters are allowed within the finish area.
Once you cross the finish line we will offer you a congratulatory “Namaste” and hand you a khata, a traditional ceremonial scarf in Tibetan culture given as a gesture of welcome, goodbye, good luck and good wishes!
As you leave the finish area you can collect your finisher bag containing your medal, a UTMR bandana, a special cup & karabiner from On, special edition finisher gift, a sandwich and a biberli. There will also be a choice of fizzy water, schorle or beer.
Please don’t linger in the finish area but pass directly outside. If you have a greater hunger or thirst then the many cafes & restaurants close to the Dorfplatz will be happy to welcome you.
Prizes: We will call the 1st, 2nd, 3rd male and female overall winners to the podium at 14.00h for a brief (distanced) presentation, without speeches. Any category prize winners will be notified by sms and can collect their prizes from the table in the registration tent after 14.00h.
On & the Mountain Photo Booth
Our main sponsor On will be present to help make sure that your day is extra special. They will have a small cheering zone out on the trail to support you in your last kilometers back to Grächen. Then in the Dorfplatz you will find the On tent with their Mountain Photo Booth. Make sure to visit it for a nice reminder of your day!
Here is their message to you!
The On team is excited to be part of this special edition of the UTMR Grächen Berglauf!
Far above Grächen, on the winding, rocky trails, the On cheering zone will lift your spirits and recharge your energy as you turn up the speed and head into your last alpine sprint towards the finish line.
Then we’ll be waiting for you in Grächen with the On Mountain photo booth, which will work at full capacity, snapping pictures, and printing them out onsite for you to take home!
We wish you the best of luck in your last few days of training before the big day.
Your On Team
It is great if you have supporters to encourage you. However due to the new covid-19 regulations you must inform us with their name, email address and contact number in advance. We will send you a form for this by email on Friday 4 September. Thank you for your understanding!
Please note no assistance is allowed between checkpoints. No muling or pacing is allowed.
We’d love to share news about the race with the world. If you post photos or news on social media please use the hashtag #graechenberglauf so we can share too!
DNF or DNS
Please notify us by email or WhatsApp if you are unable to start the race.
If you stop your race before the finish you must inform the race organisation with your bib number and name. If you fail to do this then we will start a search and rescue procedure. You can let us know by email / telephone / WhatsApp or tell Lizzy in person at the finish line. If you decide to stop before the finish you will need to make your way back to Grächen foot as there is no transport on the race route.
There will be a small “Kinderrennen” in Grächen at 16:30h. Registration will be at the main tent in the Dorfplatz after 15.00h. If you have children with you please do encourage them to run!
- ca. 800 m for 5 – 8 years
- ca. 2.2 km for 9 – 13 years